Sermon Scripture: John 1:19-34
Sermon Big Idea: John testified to the fact that he is not the Messiah, but that he was prophesied about just like Jesus was.
- John clarifies his identity (v. 19-28)
- Not a friend of the religious leaders (Matthew 3:7-10)
- John the preparer (Isaiah 40:1-5)
- By voice (Matthew 3:2)
- By baptism (Matthew 3:11)
- John clarifies Jesus’ identity (v. 29-34)
- Existed before John (John 1:2)
- In authority over John (Matthew 3:14; Mark 1:7; Luke 3:17)
- Lamb of God (Exodus 12:7,13)
- Son of God
John’s best clarification of his identity and that of Jesus came in John 3:30 (NIV).